Moto : Hans Kshir Nyayena Gruhana Yadyaduttamam.
Year of Establishment : 1924
Permanently Affiliated : Savitribai Phule Pune University (ID NO. : PU/NS/AS/001(1924))
ISO : 9001-2015 Certified
FOUNDER PRINCIPAL : PRIN. T. A. KULKARNI
After founding the Gokhale Education Society in 1918, Prin. T. A. Kulkarni turned his attention towards Nashik. He thought of instituting a centre for higher education at Nashik and thus HPT College was established in 1924 as an intermediate College affiliated to Bombay University, named after its donor Shriman Hansraj Pragji Thakersey, a great philanthropist and industrialist.
The college started with 90 students and it was only after his 24 years of its completion the Science stream was added in 1948, with an enrolment of around 500 students.
Though HPT College started primarily as an Arts College, a large number of courses in both Arts and Science were added to cater to the educational needs of the students. Over a period of time the institution blossomed into a leading College with 21 UG and 17 PG departments and a significant center for research activities in both Humanities and Science subjects. The vocationalization of various courses and introduction of subjects like Electronics, Computer Science, Computer Applications, Analytical Chemistry, Environmental Studies, Mass Media, Public Opinion and Journalism, Communication Skills, Library and Information Science, Certificate Courses in Modern European Languages, Biotechnology, Wine Technology, Applied Biotechnology enhanced the social relevance of this institution. This wide choice to the students for selection of subjects is the distinctive characteristic of our College.
The College, established in the year 1924, has completed Ninety glorious years of service. We celebrated Platinum Jubilee Year 1998-99. The year 2013-14 marks our completion of 90 years of academic Excellence.
The Science Stream was added in 1948 and the College was renamed as HPT Arts & RYK Science College in 1974.
The Junior College with both for Arts and Science streams was added in the year 1976. The Junior College renamed after R.H.Sapat as the Society received generous donation from R.H. Sapat Foundation, Mumbai.
The full-fledged and well-equipped Computer Centre was established in the year 1980 and the Restructuring Programme was implemented in the year 1983.
ISO Certification from 9001:2008 and NAAC Reaccredidation : ‘A’ Grade in the year 2010.
The Study Centre for undergraduate programmes and postgraduate research programmes of the Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University (YCMOU) were started in 1991.
The College has excellent facilities like Auditorium, Seminar Hall fully equipped Gymnasium, Kusumagraj Hall etc.
The College was selected by the University Grants Commission (U.G.C.), New Delhi in the year 1994-95 to implement its scheme of Vocationalization of First Degree Education.
Well-equipped Language Laboratory set up with UGC Assistance in the year 1984.
The College has its own annual publication ‘SHRADDHA’ which provides an outlet for students ideas and thoughts through creative writing.
Renowned Marathi poet and the recipient of the prestigious ‘Dnyanapeeth Award’, Late Shri. V. V. Shirwadkar alias Kusumagraj, Prof. W. L. Kulkarni, Prof. R. B. Patankar and Prof. Vasant Kanetkar, who had been the Presidents of Akhil Bharatiya Marathi Sahitya Sammelan, were closely associated with HPT College. Kusumagraj, Prof. Kulkarni and Prof. Patankar were past students and Dr. Vasantrao Kanetkar was a member of teaching faculty of the College.
Copyright © 2016 all rights reserved.